Friday, May 7, 2010

New York Times Radio Review in "Television" Section

I can't remember the last time that our nation's venerable newspaper-of-record The New York Times reviewed a radio program, can you? Usually their radio coverage consists of puff pieces about Garrison Keillor or political analysis of Glenn Beck or somebody else from the talk radio milieu.

Well, believe it or not, but they actually previewed an NPR documentary a few days ago. I was pleased, but also a little stunned. Funny thing, though, this article about a radio program appeared . . . in the "Television" section!?!?

Hmmmm. I guess that pretty much sums up how the editors at the Times feel about the oldest broadcast medium. This reminds me of the cancelled soap opera last year that "predated television."

It's as if the Times had forgotten their own legendary media critic Jack Gould, who wrote brilliantly about TV and radio for the paper for years. If they'd like to have somebody write more regularly about radio, I'd be more than happy to oblige. Heck, I'd even do it for the "Television" section.

No comments:

Post a Comment